- Professional Overview
Mr. Mago represents employers in a wide variety of litigation matters, including disability discrimination claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act; age discrimination claims under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act; purported violations of the Family And Medical Leave Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, or 42 U.S.C. § 1983; and claims of sexual harassment, race, gender, or national origin discrimination arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 or 1991, or 42 U.S.C. § 1981. Mr. Mago has significant experience in defending complex single plaintiff and class action cases on behalf of management nationwide. Mr. Mago also represents employers in state law claims of wrongful discharge, breach of employment contracts or covenants not to compete, defamation, tortious interference with contract, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Finally, Mr. Mago understands business operations and devotes a considerable portion of his practice to counseling and devising creative strategies to manage employment and business issues. Specifically, Mr. Mago counsels employers to avoid litigation by providing strategic advice and utilizing appropriate anti-discrimination and anti-harassment policies, discipline and termination policies, affirmative action compliance policies, employment contracts and employee handbooks.
Mr. Mago also represents a number of community associations in matters filed in Virginia’s federal and state courts. He devotes a considerable portion of his practice to the representation of POAs, HOAs & COAs in litigation addressed to covenant violations, governance issues, and equal housing issues, while also providing counsel to such clients regularly to help them navigate past trouble areas and thereby avert litigation. Representative clients in this practice area include Woodlake Community Association, Brandermill Community Association, King’s Charter, Wyndham, Lake Monticello, Lake Holiday, and Waterford House.
Mr. Mago devotes time and effort on behalf of the Central Virginia Legal Aid Society on a pro bono basis, and was also a driving force behind the creation and growth of the Richmond Legal Diversity Alliance.
- Practice Areas
- Education and Admissions
- J.D., cum laude, University of Richmond School of Law, 1996, University of Richmond Law Review, McNeill Law Society
- B.S., cum laude, James Madison University, 1993
- Professional Organization Memberships
- American Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Virginia Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Director, Asian Pacific American Bar Association Of Virginia
- Richmond Bar Association
- Chesterfield Bar Association
- National Employment Law Council
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Founder, Richmond Legal Diversity Alliance
- Professional Liability Attorney Network
- News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- Author of the Labor & Employment Law Section for the University of Richmond Law Review’s Annual Survey of Virginia Law in 2009 and 2012.
- Speaker at USLaw Network Employment Law Seminar addressed to effective workplace investigations.
- Speaker at Virginia Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Conference, “Learning to Think and React Like a Seasoned Employment Lawyer,” October 2006
- AV peer review rating, Martindale-Hubbell (5.0 out of 5.0)
- Listed among The Best Lawyers In America® for Employment Law – Management, 2013 – 2018
- Recognized by Virginia Business magazine as a “Legal Elite” in the field of Labor & Employment Law, 2009, 2010 & 2012 – 2018
- Recognized as a Virginia Super Lawyer by Law & Politics magazine in Employee Litigation: Defense, 2014 – 2019
- Named a “Rising Star” in Virginia Super Lawyers for Labor and Employment Law, 2008 – 2011
- Author and speaker, Learning To Think–And React–Like A Seasoned Employment Lawyer, 36th Annual Conference On Labor Relations And Employment Law, The Virginia Bar Association, October 5 – 7, 2006.
Author and speaker at various conferences and seminars over the course of the past 20 years, including client conferences, industry conferences, bar conferences, and Lorman Education Services and Sterling Education Services seminars throughout Virginia on a variety of employment law topics, including the termination process, handbook policies, the FMLA, Title VII, and the FLSA.
- Support Staff