Matthew Sgnilek is a Partner in the Employment practice at O'Hagan Meyer. He represents employers in a variety of employment cases and administrative actions, including claims for civil rights violations, harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, American Disabilities Act (ADA) violations, unfair business practices, misappropriation of trade secrets, as well as Private Attorney General’s Act (PAGA), individual and class action wage & hour disputes.
Matt represents employers in both state and federal courts, in arbitration, and before state and federal agencies, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board and the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. Matt conducts employee classification audits, payroll audits, HR best practices audits, and workplace investigations. Matt also provides preventive counseling to his clients and works with them to ensure compliant HR policies and documents are in place.. Matt is a frequent speaker providing seminars and workshops on employment issues, including Sexual Harassment and Discrimination Training to executives, supervisors, managers and human resources professionals.
- Practice Areas
Education and Admissions
- J.D., University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) School of Law
- B.S., University of Connecticut, summa cum laude , Accounting
Professional Organization Memberships
PIHRA-West Los Angeles Board Member
News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- A Bit of Fore-WARNing Before Engaging in Mass Layoffs , LA Entertainment HR magazine, October 2019 Issue
- A Separation Agreement Primer, LA Entertainment HR magazine, August/September 2019 Issue
- Harassment & Anti-Bullying Training, EAC Seminar September 2018
- Coordinating Unlimited PTO With Extended Leaves of Absence Giving You A Headache? Careful Policy Drafting Is Your Cure, LA Entertainment HR magazine, November 2018 Issue
- How to Choose? The Interplay Between the FMLA, CFRA, and ADA, LA Entertainment HR magazine, February 2019 Issue
- What to Expect when an Employee is Expecting, LA Entertainment HR magazine, April 2019 Issue