- Professional Overview
Dana serves as first-chair trial counsel in all manner of civil litigation and is the Chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Team. He has extensive experience litigating trade secret, patent, trademark, trade dress, and copyright cases throughout the United States. His practice also encompasses a wide variety of complex civil litigation matters, including breach of contract and business tort cases, class action defense (including in website accessibility cases under the ADA), Voting Rights Act litigation, and the representation of financial services clients in government investigations and complex litigation matters involving federal and state consumer financial statutes and regulations.
In addition to his litigation practice, Dana advises clients on intellectual property licensing and portfolio management. An avid music fan (and enthusiastic but middling guitarist), Dana has advised artists and labels on intellectual property and contract issues. Dana is also involved in the sports industry, actively counseling NIL Collectives, Universities, Businesses, Sponsors, and Student Athletes on legal issues surrounding Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) opportunities now available to college and high school athletes.
While Dana resides in the San Francisco Bay area, he has many years of experience litigating in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. He also served as a law clerk in 1992-1993 to the Hon. Robert E. Payne in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond and Norfolk Divisions).
- Practice Areas
- Education and Admissions
- Randolph-Macon College, B.A., 1987
- University of Richmond, J.D., 1992
- Professional Organization Memberships
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- News, Honors, Publications & Speeches Dana has been recognized by various publications for his work in the legal industry. His recognitions include:
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trade Secrets Law, 2015-2021
- The Recorder, “San Francisco's Best Lawyers,” Intellectual Property Law, 2011
- The Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property, 2007–2011
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property, 2011–2013, 2016-2020
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property, 2007–2010
- Virginia Businessmagazine’s “Legal Elite”; Intellectual Property Litigation, 2006–2009; Civil Litigation, 2003–2005
- AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell, legal ability and integrity
- "Trade Secrets Offer an End-Around to Patent Ineligibility," The Recorder, August 19, 2014
- "Strategies for Protecting Trade Secrets in the Cloud," Corporate Counsel, February 18, 2014
- “Investigating and Litigating ESI Spoliation Claims in Trade Secret Disputes,” Author and Panel Member, presented January 18, 2021.