A partner at O’Hagan Meyer focusing on business litigation, professional liability defense, including legal malpractice, accountant malpractice, A&E and other E&O matters. Mr. Sims regularly litigates in federal and state court all manner and types of complex commercial disputes, including claims for officers’ and directors’ liability and professional malpractice; breach of contract, fraud, violations of state trade secret laws, tortious interference with contract, false advertising/Lanham Act claims and ERISA claims. Mr. Sims also frequently represents clients in intellectual property litigation in federal and state court and has a special interest in technology-related issues. As a part of his commercial practice, Mr. Sims also litigates disputes related to estate matters.
Mr. Sims is a former Lieutenant in the United States Navy. He began his career as a submarine officer. He was stationed on board a Los Angeles Class, Fast Attack Nuclear Submarine. As part of his responsibilities, Mr. Sims supervised the operation of the nuclear reactor and the main propulsion plant for the nuclear submarine. Mr. Sims also developed technical and sonar search plans and he established a comprehensive training program to enhance the efficiency of maintenance practices aboard the submarine.
After graduating from the United States Naval Academy, Mr. Sims graduated magna cum laude from the Georgetown University School of Law in 1993. Mr. Sims has received the AV® Preeminent™ Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, in Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Intellectual Property, and Litigation – Trust and Estates, 2008 – 2016.
- Practice Areas
Education and Admissions
- J.D., magna cum laude, Georgetown University,1993
- B.S., United States Naval Academy, 1985
Professional Organization Memberships
- Virginia Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- Martindale – Hubbell®, AV® Peer Review Rated
- Listed in Benchmark Litigation as a “Local Litigation Star,” 2009, 2014, 2016
- Recognized by Law & Politics magazine as a Virginia Super Lawyer for Business Litigation, 2009–2016
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Intellectual Property, and Litigation – Trusts & Estates, 2008–2016
- Listed in Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” for Civil Litigation, 2006, 2009-2013 & 2015-2016