Mr. Dargitz has litigated several corporate and commercial disputes in the Delaware Court of Chancery and other courts in Delaware and elsewhere. He has defended corporations and alternative entities in matters such as books and records inspection cases, actions seeking the advancement of litigation costs, actions for breach of contract, proxy contest litigation, and cases alleging violations of the federal securities and other laws. He has represented directors and officers of corporations and alternative entities in “deal litigation” and other actions arising from alleged breaches of fiduciary duty or violations of state or federal law, as well as litigation seeking the advancement of legal expenses. To facilitate the defense of class actions and derivative suits, he has represented corporations and their directors and officers in actions concerning the availability of directors & officers (“D&O”) insurance. He also has represented large investors seeking an inspection of books and records and in pursuing corporate governance litigation.
In addition to his court practice, Mr. Dargitz has advised boards and committees regarding matters such as directors’ fiduciary duties under Delaware law, the meaning of contractual provisions, and ways of reducing the risk of litigation against themselves and the corporation. His pro bono practice has included the successful representation before the Third Circuit of a man facing the death penalty, and a case of first impression in which the Delaware Family Court determined that Delaware law does not allow a minor to petition for emancipation.
Prior to joining O’Hagan Meyer, Mr. Dargitz’s experience included several years in the Wilmington office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP. He is a co-author of the treatise, Mergers & Acquisitions Deal Litigation Under Delaware Law, and writes articles and presents lectures concerning the Delaware General Corporation Law, corporate governance, and related issues.
Mr. Dargitz served a two-year term as a Peace Corps volunteer in Gabon from 1991 to 1993.
- Practice Areas
Education and Admissions
- J.D., Yale Law School, 1997
- Moot Court
- Barristers Union
- B.S., magna cum laude, political science and environmental studies, Butler University, 1988
- United States District Court for the Western District of PA
- New Jersey
- J.D., Yale Law School, 1997
News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- Mergers & Acquisitions Deal Litigation Under Delaware Law (Walters Kluwer 2014) (with Edward P. Welch, Edward B. Micheletti, and Peter Morrison)
- Post No Bills: The 11th Circuit Extends the 2nd Circuit’s Gerber Standard & Approves Barring Advancement Claims, Securities Litigation Report (Dec./Jan/ 2010) (with Robert S. Saunders)
- Game Over: Delaware Court of Chancery Rules on Activision, The M&A Lawyer (July/Aug 2008)
- Gheewalla’s Impact on Breach of Fiduciary Duty, Law360 (June 19, 2007) (with Robert S. Saunders and Mark Chehi)
- Webinar (with Thomas E. Bejin) TC Heartland and Patent Venue – Litigating Patents in the District of Delaware (Aug. 17, 2017)