Matthew E. Szwajkowski
Matt is an experienced litigator who focuses his practice in complex commercial litigation and insurance coverage disputes at the pre-suit, trial and appellate levels. Matt has obtained considerable success for his clients on motions to dismiss and at summary judgment, including matters involving novel questions of Illinois law. He has also enjoyed success in bench and jury trials. Matt is also a seasoned appellate lawyer, with an excellent record in federal and state appellate courts across the country, including recently obtaining a reversal in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and an affirmance on behalf of his client in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Matt has represented clients in a wide variety of substantive subject matter areas, including complex commercial, class action, and multi-jurisdictional litigation, consumer fraud defense, securities and financial products litigation, contract disputes, local government and municipal law, real estate litigation, mechanics’ lien claims, construction disputes, zoning claims, eminent domain, partnership disputes, employment litigation, bankruptcy, and trade secret claims and other business torts.
- Practice Areas
Education and Admissions
- Northwestern University, B.S., 2000
- Cornell University, J.D., 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Seventh Circuit, Ninth Circuit, and Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court: Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar),
- Central District of Illinois
- Southern District of New York,
- Eastern District of New York
- Eastern District of Michigan
- New York
News, Honors, Publications & Speeches