Mark W. Corner
Mark is a respected, experienced and accomplished litigator. He has tried scores of jury and jury waived cases in over 30 years of practice. Mark has appeared in all divisions of the trial and appellate courts in Massachusetts, on both the state and federal side, as well as various state and federal administrative agencies and arbitration and reference tribunals. Mark has also briefed and argued over twenty-five appeals in the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and Appeals Court, as well as the United States Court Of Appeals for the First Circuit (including its Bankruptcy Appellate Panel).
While Mark has subject matter expertise in a wide variety of areas, the focus of his litigation practice centers on real estate litigation issues involving “the ground and structures built on it” – specifically disputes over ownership of real estate, zoning and land use issues, construction litigation and commercial lease disputes. Mark represents individuals and businesses involved in such disputes, as well as businesses in various aspects of the real estate industry, including developers and contractors. Other representative areas of Mark’s practice include complex business litigation, including intracompany disputes and commercial litigation matters, and representation by insurance companies in defense of personal injury and property damage claims, as well as first party claims, coverage disputes and bad faith claims against insurance carriers.Prior to entering law school Mark served as a teacher and coach at an independent secondary school. Mark is an avid cyclist and is a member of the Planning Committee for the National Brain Tumor Ride and participates in other fundraising rides. Mark serves as a member of the Board of Directors of Neighbor Brigade, a non-profit corporation that establishes community-specific networks of volunteers to help individuals facing sudden crisis manage day-to-day tasks such as meal preparation, rides, and basic household chores. Mark enjoys cooking for family and friends and serves as a referee in wrestling matches and tournaments at the high school and prep school level throughout Massachusetts. Mark and his wife Leslie are long-time residents of Wayland, Massachusetts, where he served as a member and Chairman of the Zoning Board of Appeals. They have two adult children.
- Practice Areas
Education and Admissions
- Boston College Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1987
- Bowdoin College, A.B., magna cum laude, 1982
- United States District Court, District of Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Professional Organization Memberships
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Frank J. Murray Inn of Court, Board of Directors
- Neighbor Brigade, Board of Directors
- National Brain Tumor Ride, Planning Committee
- Wayland Zoning Board of Appeals, Member and Chair (1994-2001)
- USA 500 Clubs
- Massachusetts Interscholastic Wrestling Officials Association
News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer since 2008
- AV rating from Martindale Hubbell.
- Author, The End of “Prohibition by Condition”: Castle Hill Apartments Limited Partnership v. Holyoke Planning Board, Massachusetts Bar Association Section Review, Vol. 9, No. 1 (March 2007).
- Webinar Panelist, “Adjudicatory Proceedings During COVID: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,” Boston Bar Association, September 21, 2021.