Kevin C. Rasp is a partner at O’Hagan Meyer’s Chicago office. He began his career at a medical malpractice defense firm in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where he defended healthcare providers in Indiana’s unique Medical Review Panel system. He worked closely with client physicians, nursing homes, and hospitals to learn the applicable medicine and prepare submissions to the Medical Review Panel. These submissions discussed the relevant treatment, demonstrated his client’s adherence to the standard of care, and contested the medical causation of the patient’s injuries. When cases were not resolved at the Medical Review Panel stage, Kevin defended his healthcare clients as their medical malpractice cases continued in state court.
While in Indiana, Kevin also litigated products liability and personal injury cases from the initial stage of investigation through discovery, mediation, trial and the appeal process. He second chaired several medical malpractice trials and represented clients in courtrooms across the state.
When Kevin returned to Chicago, his practice focused on the defense of products liability, wrongful death, and mass tort cases in Illinois, Indiana and around the country. He managed a varied and challenging caseload where he had the opportunity to depose expert witnesses, lead trial teams, and brief a successful appeal.
At O’Hagan Meyer, Kevin defends healthcare providers in cases alleging medical malpractice or violations of the Nursing Home Care Act. He defends companies in product liability cases alleging serious personal injury or death. His focus is medical malpractice and product liability, but he is a litigator and enjoys representing clients in cases of all types. He prefers the courtroom to the mediator’s office, but litigates cases for his clients and works to find efficient, satisfactory, creative resolutions wherever possible. Kevin maintains his Indiana license so in addition to Illinois, he regularly represents clients in courtrooms across the State of Indiana.
Kevin teaches Health Law Legal Writing at Loyola University Chicago School of Law to first-year law students.
- Practice Areas
Education and Admissions
Kevin graduated cum laude from Loyola University Chicago School of Law in 2007 where he served as an executive editor of the Annals of Health Law and as a health law legal writing tutor. He earned two CALI awards for the highest grades in Conflicts of Law and Remedies. Kevin completed externships at the American Dental Association and in the federal court for Magistrate Judge Jeffrey Cole. He clerked for a commercial litigation firm where he drafted chapters of Handling the Business Emergency, which was published by the ABA.
Kevin studied writing at DePauw University and graduated from its Honor Scholar Program.
Professional Organization Memberships
- Professor of Health Law Legal Writing at Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- Associate board member of CARPLS (www.carpls.org), which provides pro bono legal referrals and advice through help desks and telephone hotline
- State Bar Admissions: Indiana, Illinois
- Federal Bar Admissions: United States District Courts for the Northern District of Indiana, Southern District of Indiana, Northern District of Illinois, and Eastern District of Wisconsin
News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- Appellate Court Affirms Receivership Proceedings
- CARPLS Adds New Associate Board Member
- Two Summary Judgments Affirmed on Appeal
- Author – The Expertise of Medical Experts: Assessing Medical Education and Specialization When Experts Opine Across Specialties, Indiana Civil Litigation Review, Vol. 7, No. 1 (2010)
- Author – The Legal Ramifications of Best Practices in Health Care, 15 Annals Health L. 361 (Summer 2006)
- Presenter – The Medical Review Panel Process in Indiana, lecture to local paralegal students, (September 2008)
- Reported Case – Carlson v. Glueckert Funeral Home, Ltd., 943 N.E.2d 237 (Ill. Ct. App. 2011)