- Professional Overview
Katie Jones concentrates her nationwide litigation practice in construction litigation, professional negligence, transportation, premises liability, insurance disputes and commercial litigation.
Ms. Jones devotes a significant amount of her practice to representing architects, engineers, insurance brokers, real estate brokers and other professionals in actions alleging professional negligence and malpractice. She has effectively resolved cases both in state and federal court, as well in front of arbitration panels, in claims arising from breach of contract, project delay, property damage, personal injury, design defect, negligent misrepresentation and mechanics’ liens. Ms. Jones works with a wide array of insureds and is sensitive to issues of confidentiality, the professional's ongoing practice, and the client’s participation in his or her own defense.
Ms. Jones also represents owners, construction managers and contractors in prosecuting and defending construction claims, including catastrophic personal injury, cost overrun, and delay claims. She assists her clients with negotiating and drafting construction and design contracts, as well as advises them on risk management.
Ms. Jones represents commercial drivers, motor carriers, and insurers in the transportation industry. She defends personal injury, wrongful death, and cargo claims, and he evaluates and litigates casualty and cargo insurance coverage disputes.
Ms. Jones is an experienced trial attorney having tried and litigated cases throughout the United States, including serving as one of the trial attorneys for several London-based insurance companies in the case of Citgo Petroleum Corporation, et al. v. The Babcock & Wilcox Company. In that case, a jury awarded the plaintiffs $387.4 million, the highest jury verdict ever in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois.
- Practice Areas
- Education and Admissions
- J.D., Washington & Lee University, 1998
- B.A., Lawrence University, cum laude, 1994
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fourth and Seventh Circuits
- United States District Courts, Northern District of Illinois, Southern District of West Virginia
- New York
- West Virginia
- Professional Organization Memberships
- CLM, Diversity and Inclusion, Webinar Chair
- Illinois State Bar
- Indiana State Bar
- Wisconsin State Bar
- New York State Bar
- West Virginia State Bar
- News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- Speaker, 2021 Seattle Building Enclosure Council, February 18, 2021, "A New Paradigm for Building Enclosure Delivery, Performance, and Durability"
- Speaker, 2020 DRI- The Voice of the Defense Bar Seminar, July 15, 2020, "2020 Vision - Spotlight on Current Issues and What’s Next for the Construction Industry"
- Speaker, 2019 CLM Annual Conference, March 15, 2019, “Cyber Coverage On Non-Cyber Policies: Developments, Wordings and Predictions”
- Speaker, 2018 IRMI Construction Risk Conference, November 7, 2018, “Design Professional Fiduciary Liability – A Hidden Risk for Licensed Design Professionals?”
- Author, “Contracts as a Risk Management Tool, Navigators Blueprint, June 2018
- Speaker, ExecuSummit Construction Defect, Claims and Litigation Strategies Conference, December 6, 2017, “Architects & Engineers Contractor’s Liability and Copyright Issues”
- Speaker, Construction SuperConference, December 3, 2017, “Twilight of the Gods: Fiduciary Duties for the Licensed Design Professionals”
- Speaker, ExecuSummit Construction Defect, Claims and Litigation Strategies Conference, December 6, 2016, “Wrap Ups: Are They working?
- Support Staff