- Professional Overview
John D. Dalton concentrates his practice in professional liability, insurance coverage and general liability/commercial litigation. He is an author in the areas of school law, environmental liability and insurance coverage. He has given seminars on various issues regarding legal ethics, insurance coverage and policy interpretation. He is a member of the American, Illinois State and Chicago Bar Associations. He was also a member of the Insurance Law Section Council of the Illinois State Bar Association from 1999 to 2005.
Mr. Dalton defends attorneys, insurance agents, Registered Investment Advisors, Broker/Dealers, condominium associations, design professionals, architects & engineers, accountants, actuaries and psychiatrists. He represents companies, board members, directors and shareholders in numerous commercial disputes, including claims under the TCPA, FDCPA, ERISA, and related state statutes. He also represents insurance carriers nationwide in complex coverage and bad faith litigation and advised insurers regarding difficult coverage issues that often arise in Illinois, such as estoppel and targeted tender. Mr. Dalton has expertise handling coverage matters involving general liability, construction defect, environmental, errors & omissions, and directors & officers policies. He also advises insurance companies on drafting policy provisions to keep up with changes in the law. Mr. Dalton has provided expert testimony on behalf of carriers in Illinois insurance coverage litigation.
He has obtained successful results at the appellate level in both defense and coverage cases. Specifically, he represented the defendant psychiatrist and hospital in Bloom v. Braun where the Illinois First District Appellate Court limited the use of alleged fraudulent concealment to toll the statutes of limitations or repose. Also, he represented the insurance carrier in Tudor Insurance v. Valuemetrics where the same court limited the usually broad duty to defend, in holding that the insurer had no duty to defend when the underlying lawsuit did not state a negligence claim, because there was no direct duty from the insured to the plaintiff.
Mr. Dalton also represents both commercial property owners and tenants in matters relating to their lease agreement and other transactions. He represents clients in issues stemming from simple dispute resolution to complex commercial eviction matters. Additionally, Mr. Dalton advises both commercial property owners and tenants in the legal and economic impact of COVID-19 pandemic and assists his clients in navigating the regulations stemming from the pandemic.
Mr. Dalton received an AV rating through Martindale - Hubbell. In 1989, he was licensed as a Certified Public Accountant in Illinois.
- Practice Areas
- Architects & Engineers
- Class & Collective Actions
- Commercial & Business Litigation
- Consumer Financial Services Litigation
- Data Breach, Privacy and Cyber Liability
- Financial Services and Securities Industry Litigation and Enforcement
- Insurance Coverage
- Professional Liability
- Real Estate Professionals/Appraisers/Title Agents/Inspectors
- Education and Admissions
- J.D. from The John Marshall Law School.
- B.A. from Illinois Wesleyan University.
- In 1989, John was licensed as a Certified Public Accountant in Illinois.
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Trial Bar for the Northern District of Illinois
- Professional Organization Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association, Insurance Law Section Council, 1999-2005
- Chicago Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Board Member - GAGMAD (Gang Against Guns, Murder And Drugs) - Jan 1993 - Dec 1997
- Board President – Oak Park & River Forest Civic Theater, Inc. d/b/a Madison Street Theater – June 2019 – present
- News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- AV rating from Martindale – Hubbell