- Professional Overview
Mr. Helsel is a senior litigation associate in the firm’s Alexandria, VA and New York, NY offices. His broad practice encompasses a wide range of commercial and business litigation, including the defense of employment, business torts, professional liability, construction accident, construction defect, product defect, premises liability and estate actions, as well as handling disputes on behalf of homeowner and condominium associations. In addition to litigation, Mr. Helsel provides employment counseling, including conducting training sessions for management on anti-discrimination and anti-retaliation best practices and compliance with federal and state anti-discrimination laws.
Prior to joining O’Hagan Meyer, Mr. Helsel was a litigation associate in the New York City office of a mid-sized national firm, where his practice focused primarily on the defense of construction accident, product defect, premises liability and maritime actions. Mr. Helsel also completed a judicial clerkship with the Hon. Philip J. Maenza, J.S.C., New Jersey Superior Court, Morris/Sussex Vicinage.
Mr. Helsel is a graduate of Villanova University School of Law. During law school, he represented Villanova at the National Baseball Arbitration Competition and he completed a clerkship with the National Football League Management Council in New York City, before going on to earn an LL.M. in International Sports Law from Instituto Superior Dereche y Economia (ISDE) in Madrid, Spain. Mr. Helsel attended Wesleyan University as an undergraduate, where he played varsity baseball and football and earned a Bachelor of Arts in American Studies with a focus on U.S. History.
- Practice Areas
- Education and Admissions
- Villanova University School of Law (J.D.)
- ISDE, Madrid, Spain (LL.M.)
- Wesleyan University (B.A.)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- Professional Organization Memberships
- Virginia Bar Association
Alexandria Bar Association