- Professional Overview
Kevin O’Hagan is a founding partner of O’Hagan Meyer. After practicing at large law firms for 15 years, such as McGuire Woods and Locke Lord Edwards, he founded the firm to be a national boutique with an emphasis on personal customer service. He acts as lead counsel for several Fortune 500 companies and has tried cases in five different states, including the Delaware Court of Chancery, and has mediated cases in 15 state courts and federal jurisdictions. Kevin has also handled multi-district litigation and class action suits. He is licensed to practice in Illinois and Virginia, and has been admitted to practice pro hac vice in 10 other states. Chicago Lawyer Magazine, in its inaugural annual edition, recognized Kevin as one of the city’s Top 40 Lawyers under 40 to Watch and he was named a SuperLawyer by Chicago Magazine in 2005, and 2008-2021.
An accomplished attorney, Kevin’s many successes include recovering $9 million for a client on a construction defect and architectural malpractice matter, saving over $1 million a year in tax liability on an industrial complex for a client in real estate property tax litigation, and negotiating over 20 multi-million dollar contracts for clients in such areas as software licensing, technology purchases and various consulting services. In one year, Kevin won three jury trials for clients accused of employment discrimination.
Kevin has represented financial professionals, attorneys, accountants, trustees, directors and officers in litigation all over the country. In addition, he has assisted executives and companies in navigating the complexities of grand jury subpoenas. In 2007, Kevin helped found PLAN (Professional Liability Attorney Network), a national organization dedicated to the defense of professionals, directors and officers. From its founding to 2011 he was Chairman of the organization and oversaw its growth to over 20 law firms nationwide.
Kevin is also the firm’s Chief Breach Navigator and Chair of the firm’s Cyber Liability Team, advising companies throughout the country on actual and potential threats to their data and information systems. Kevin has presented cyber liability educational seminars to Fortune 500 Companies, Insurance Companies, and many other organizations throughout the country.
Kevin has successfully handled over 250 employment practices disputes for clients. He utilizes his extensive experience in litigation trial work to quickly and efficiently resolve employment disputes.
Kevin is a Certified NFL Agent for representing clients in the National Football League.
- Practice Areas
- Antitrust and Competition
- Asbestos Defense and Toxic Torts
- Certified NFLPA NFL Agents
- Class & Collective Actions
- Commercial & Business Litigation
- Data Breach, Privacy and Cyber Liability
- Defense of COVID-19 Matters
- Directors & Officers
- ERISA & Employee Benefits
- Homeowners/Condominium Associations
- Insurance Agent and Broker Defense
- Labor & Employment
- Medical Malpractice
- Municipal Litigation & Higher Education
- Products Liability & Tort Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Real Estate Professionals/Appraisers/Title Agents/Inspectors
- SEC/White Collar Defense
- Sports & Entertainment
- Your General Counsel
- Education and Admissions
Kevin graduated from the College of the Holy Cross. He received his Juris Doctor degree from DePaul University where he was a Member and Editor of the DePaul Law Review.
- Professional Organization Memberships
- Chair: Products Liability Yield Subcommittee, American Bar Association
- Chairman: Technology Committee of the Section of Litigation
- Chairman and Co-Founder: Professional Liability Attorney Network (PLAN)
- Vice Chair: YLD Litigation Committee, American Bar Association
- Member: American Bar Association
- Member: Professional Liabilities Underwriters Association
- Member: Young Presidents Organization (YPO)
- Member: American Corporate Counsel Association
- Member: Defense Research Institute Chicagoland Chapter
- Chicago Bar Association, Commercial Litigation Committee
- News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- Moderator, "HR/Employment Law Seminar", Chicago, IL, November 27, 2018
- Presenter, "Mock Trial Of A Retaliation Case", Chubb Insurance, Pittsburgh, PA, September 24, 2018
- Moderator, “Stevens v. Americorp Mock Trial”, PLAN Regional Meeting Chicago, IL, July 25, 2018.
- Presenter, "The pitfalls of telemarketing under the TCPA and Consumer Protection", Delta Dental Plans Association Legal Conference, San Francisco, CA, July 17-18, 2018
- Presenter, "Mock Trial of A Retaliation Case", Hanover Ins., Chicago, IL, March 29, 2018
- Presenter, “Stevens v. Americorp Mock Trial”, PLAN Regional Meeting Hartford, CT, February 15, 2018.
- Presenter, Keeping Damages Down – Real World Lessons from Trial, Jersey City, NJ, January 22, 2018
- Moderator, “What Covers What? The Interplay and Overlap of Professional Liability and Cyber Liability Coverage” PLAN Regional Meeting Chicago, IL May 25, 2017
- Presenter, “Trump Post Election Impact on EPL Issues: Panel Discussion” Beazley EPL Defense Counsel Summit Philadelphia, PA, May 15, 2017
- Moderator, “EPL Claims in Illinois” Travelers Chicago, IL, March 30, 2017
- Moderator, “From the Stairway to Cyberspace – Where We Are Headed with the ADA” PLAN Regional Meeting Hartford, CT, February 16, 2017.
- Kevin O’Hagan Panelist for Cyber Liability Webinar Series
- Jamie Filipovic and Kevin O’Hagan Sign Kicker to Tennessee Titans
- James J. O’Hagan and Kevin M. O’Hagan Receive Prestigious Awards
- Kevin O’Hagan quoted in Crain’s Chicago Business Magazine
- Panelist, NAMIC (National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies) Webinar, “Cyber Liability Webinar Series: Mutual Insurance Company Turnkey Cyber Facility Development”, September 8, 2016
- Presenter, Allied World Mock Trial, Hartford, CT, January 26, 2016
- Moderator, “Cyber Liability – Trends and Developments – Where We Are and Where We Are Going” PLAN Regional Meeting Chicago, IL, July 29, 2015.
- Presenter, “Cyber Liability – Trends and Developments – Where We Are and Where We Are Going” PLAN Regional Meeting New York, NY, June 18, 2015.
- Awarded 5.0 out 5.0 AV Preeminent® Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, May 14, 2015, http://www.martindale.com/Kevin-Michael-OHagan
- Chosen as Superlawyer, 2005 and 2008-2021
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013, 2014
- Presenter, “Cyber Security Threats, Trips & Traps: Managing Risk and Protecting Data in the Cyber Age” PLAN Webinar, January 21, 2015.
- Presenter, “How to Know What You Don’t Know” PLAN Regional Meeting in Hartford, CT, October 23, 2014.
- Presenter,”The Affordable Care Act: Employer Responses and Emerging Causes of Action” PLUS Southeast Chapter Meeting in Richmond, VA, September 16, 2014.
- Presenter, “Cyber Liability for Professionals” PLAN Meeting, Wrigley Field, May 21, 2014.
- Presenter, “Cyber Liability and Data Breach Litigation”, PLAN Regional Meeting in Hartford, CT, May 31, 2012.
- Presenter, “Protect Your Board – The Golden Rules of Controlling Non-Profit D&O Liability Risk”, Chicago Crittenden Conference, September 12, 2011
- Speaker, “Has the Great Recession Changed Employment Law Forever? “, PLUS Professional Risk Symposium in Chicago, March 24, 2011.
- Presenter, “Coverage Update,” Professional Lines Attorney Network, PLAN Regional Workshop New York, June 2009.
- Presenter, “Employment Practices Insurance: Why You Should Have It”, Choice Hotel Convention 2009, May 2009
- Presenter, “The Tripartite Relationship: Anticipating and Managing Conflicts between the Carrier, Insured, and Defense Counsel”, Professional Lines Attorney Network, PLAN Regional Workshop, December 2008
- Presenter, “People of Illinois v. Countrywide: A New But Familiar chapter in Sub-prime Litigation”, Professional Lines Attorney Network, PLAN Regional Workshop: New York, 2008
- Presenter, “Vinyl Chloride (VC) ‘The Plastic Coffin'” to USLAW Network, Inc.
- Presenter, “Crossing the Pond: What Every Foreign Company Should Know About U.S. Employment Litigation”, American Bar Association, Annual Meeting, 2000.
- Presenter, “Mock Trial of a Bad Faith Arson Case”, American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section Annual Meeting, 1998
- Presenter, “Case Management and Cost Containment from the Client’s Perspective”, American Bar Association Annual Meeting, 1998
- Presenter, “Ripples of Georgine: The Future of Rule 23 Class Certification for Settlement Purposes Only”, Defense Research Institute Products Liability Seminar, 1997.
- Presenter, “How to Avoid Being Discovered to Death: A Cost Effective Approach to Dealing with Discovery”, Defense Research Institute Seminar, 1994.
- Presenter, “Computerized Case Management and Client Communication”, Product Liability Advisory Council, Inc., 1993.
- Author, “Pumping with the Intent to Kill: Evading Wetlands Jurisdiction under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act through Draining”, 40 DePaul Law Review 1059 (1991).
- Support Staff