Mr. Yates represents clients in all forms of civil trial practice with an emphasis in Tort Defense, Transportation Cases Premises Liability and Construction Law. Mr. Yates has extensive trial experience having successfully tried over 85 jury trials in state and federal courts throughout Virginia. In addition to his primary practice areas, Mr. Yates also has significant experience in cases involving fraud, business torts, commercial and residential landlord tenant matters and will contests.
Mr. Yates is an active member of the Virginia State Bar, the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys and the Charlottesville/Albemarle Bar Association. Mr. Yates served as a member of the Board of Directors and the Long Range Planning Committee for the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys and is a former Chairman of the Auto & Premises Liability Section. He previously served as a member of the Board of Directors and was Treasurer for the Charlottesville/Albemarle Bar Association.
- Practice Areas
Professional Organization Memberships
- Virginia Bar Association
- VBA Committee on Nominations to Virginia Commissions and Appellate Courts 2011-2014
- Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association
News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- Recognized by Law & Politics magazine as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Business Litigation, 2012; Personal Injury General: Defense, 2013-2017
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America® since 2008, currently recognized in Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Construction, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- University of Virginia, Darden Business School, Fraud and the Sarbanes Oxley Act 2016, 2017
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys Cross Examination 2016 Opening and Closing Statements 2015
- Defense verdict in a wrongful death case where bus turned right and ran over a mother of three under the age of six. Pretrial demand was $4.0 million.
- Defense verdict for security guard who was alleged to have assaulted a store patron during an investigation of a shoplifting incident. Pretrial demand was $250,000.
- Defense verdict for employee and partner of investment management firm sued by former owner for fraud, conspiracy and business torts. Pretrial demand was $7.8 million.
- Verdict for $15,127 for national trucking firm whose driver rear ended plaintiff. Plaintiff claimed over $200,000 in medicals from multiple surgeries. Pretrial demand was $1.4 million.
- Defense verdict for national restaurant chain accused of trespass and nuisance by nearby homeowners association for silt and mud accumulation in their pond.
- Defense verdict for car manufacturer for alleged lemon law violations relating to luxury automobile.