Mr. Vaughan has spent the past thirty-one years defending employers and insurance carriers, both large and small, against a wide array of ever-changing claims and exposures. Mr. Vaughan has acted both as litigator and advisor to his clients, counseling them on ways to mitigate operational risks and strategies that add value to their bottom line.
Mr. Vaughan remains ever-vigilant of the potential impact that constantly evolving statutes and case law have on employment practices and the potential exposures created by those changes. He regularly provides education and training on a customized in-house basis to his clients, and has dedicated his practice to preserving and promoting his clients’ best interests, not only financially but also as leaders in their respective industries.
Mr. Vaughan’s myriad litigation successes include:
- Defending an accounting firm against a $12,000,000 malpractice claim, successfully having an award entered in his client’s favor that included reimbursement of costs;
- Successfully representing a multi-state employer against serious allegations of violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- Challenging the Department of Justice when it imposed a $3,500,000 “responsible party” tax on an unwitting director/officer for a real estate development company;
- Prosecuting and defending employers and employees with respect to restrictive covenants and confidentiality provisions;
- Overturning a patent infringement judgment for a patent holder client before the United States Federal Circuit Court of Appeals;
- Defending a target defendant in a large multi-party construction case, recovering 100% of the client’s attorneys’ fees based on indemnification and additional insured theories;
- Defending a seller in a $60 million transaction against claims of unfair competition, obtaining his release from all non-compete provisions from the sale;
- Effectively utilizing workers’ compensation strategy to defeat Title VII claims by an employee of a large national nursing home operator;
- Defending a death claim by utilizing medical history and records to create a suggestion of self-inflicted demise.
Mr. Vaughan also is an active member, participant and speaker in numerous defense organizations, including the Defense Research Institute, the Greater Philadelphia Executive Claims Counsel, the Pennsylvania Defense Institute, the Pennsylvania Self-Insurers Association, the Professional Liability Defense Federation, the Professional Lines Attorney Network, the Risk and Insurance Management Society, and the Society for Human Resource Management.
- Practice Areas
Education and Admissions
Joseph E. Vaughan received his J.D. from Villanova School of Law and earned his B.S. from the University of Scranton.
Professional Organization Memberships
Mr. Vaughan is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and has been admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Pennsylvania, the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas, the Central District of California and the Southern District of Florida. Mr. Vaughan is also admitted to the United States Courts of Appeals for the Third, Eleventh and Federal Circuits, as well as the United States Supreme Court.
- Member – PLUS (Professional Liability Underwriting Society)
- Member – PLAN (Professional Lines Attorney Network)
- Member – DRI (Defense Research Institute)
- Member – PSIA (Pennsylvania Self-Insurers’ Association)
- Member – GPECC (Greater Philadelphia Executive Claims Counsel)
- Member – PDI (Pennsylvania Defense Institute)
- Member – PLDF (Professional Liability Defense Federation)
- Member – RIMS (Risk and Insurance Management Society)
- Member – SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management)
- Member — Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry’s Workers’ Compensation Executive Committee
News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- “Playing a Workers’ Compensation Game: Accept the Challenge of Predicting the Judicial Outcomes of the Leading Cases of Employment Workers’ Compensation Decisions in 2014” CounterPoint: An Official Publication of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute, April 2015
- “Dougherty v. WCAB (QVC, Inc.): Further Application of the Judicial Analysis Underpinning Bufford” CounterPoint: An Official Publication of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute, December 2014
- “Additional Guidance on Impairment Rating Evaluations” The Legal Intelligencer, November 10, 2015