- Professional Overview
John McCorry focuses his nationwide legal practice in appellate law, commercial and business litigation, construction law, insurance coverage, product liability and tort defense, and contract drafting and negotiation with an emphasis on risk management and transfer.
Prior to joining O’Hagan Meyer, John served as regional tender counsel for one of the largest home improvement retailers in the United States. His responsibilities included pursuing insurance coverage and contractual indemnification from product manufacturers, service providers and vendors; overseeing and directing outside counsel in the defense of claims in over 20 states; and actively participating in the defense of the retailer.
John has favorably prosecuted and defended complex commercial and business claims in both state and federal courts, representing a diverse range of clients including law firms, a manufacturer of road construction machinery, a provider of laboratory services for veterinarians, and the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.
John has extensive experience advising and representing policyholders and insurance companies in insurance coverage disputes and declaratory judgment actions involving general liability policies, excess and umbrella policies, automobile policies and workers’ compensation policies. For the past ten years, John has also advised colleges and universities throughout the country regarding insurance coverage and risk management issues in business relationships and contracts.
John is an experienced appellate attorney and has successfully argued before the Illinois Appellate Court and the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Seventh and Tenth Circuits. His published opinions include Star Insurance Company v. Risk Management Group, Inc., 561 F.3d 656 (7th Cir. 2009).
- Practice Areas
- Education and Admissions
- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2003
- A.B., University of Chicago, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Professional Organization Memberships
- CLM Alliance
- News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- Speaker, Illinois State Bar Association, October 29, 2010, “Advising Clients About Insurance Clauses in Commercial Contracts and Leases”
- Support Staff