Jim O’Hagan has practiced law in Chicago for forty-plus years. He has over 100 recorded jury trial verdicts. He is a renowned defense attorney whose creativity and tenacity provide winning solutions to a client’s problems. In recognition of his service to the Chicago bar, Jim was appointed by Cook County Board President Jon Stroger, Jr. to the “Committee on the Courts for the 21st Century”. This Committee formulated strategic changes in the Cook County court system for the years to come. He is a founding member of the USLaw Network and the Professional Liability Attorney Network (PLAN).
- Practice Areas
Education and Admissions
- DePaul University, J.D. Law 1962. Jim received both his Bachelor of Science and Juris Doctor degrees from DePaul University.
Professional Organization Memberships
- Chairman: Suburban Courts of Cook County for the Committee on the Cook County Courts System in the 21st Century
- Illinois Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Professional Liability Attorney Network (PLAN)
- American Arbitration Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates (advocate)
News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- James J. O’Hagan and Kevin M. O’Hagan Receive Prestigious Awards
- James J. O’Hagan invited to join the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Appellate Court Affirms Receivership Proceedings
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America 2016 in the field of Commercial Litigation.
- Super Lawyer in Illinois—2004 - 2018
- Speaker – Recent developments in Insurance Coverage to Insurance Executives Group
- Speaker – Bad Faith/Extra Contractual Litigation in Illinois to Illinois Defense Counsel, annual meeting
- Author – Industry standards in a product liability claim in an IADE publication on defense of product claims
- Written and lectured on the economic loss rule, CERCLA, asbestos, insurance coverage/pollution exclusion, product liability, bad faith actions and, developments in the insurance industry.
- Argued cases in Illinois Supreme Court, Appellate Court, 7th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals.
- Developed a nationwide risk management plan for a large insurance company regarding environmental issues.
- Developed a plan for defending a nationwide product manufacturer
- Managed 20,000 asbestos claims in the Oakland and San Francisco area
- Drafted an EPL policy for a National Insurance Company regarding the following:
- Insurance provisions in truck lease program
- EPL terms in a policy for a Fortune 500 Company
- Developed endorsement for limiting coverage above minimum requirements to a corporation and it’s employees for their fleet of trailers
- Analyze and compare coverage and cost of insurance contracts for corporate clients
- Successfully defended officers of a bank on ERISA charges
- Successfully defended a Corporation and it’s President before a jury in a Rule 10B5 lawsuit