Jim practices extensively in the area of commercial litigation and arbitration, and regularly represents regional, national and international businesses, and individual clients in professional liability matters, in the areas of financial services, commercial real estate, construction and development, distribution, and professional service businesses. He has tried numerous cases involving contractual, intra-corporate and partnership issues, business torts, director and officer liability, securities, and creditors' rights claims.
Jim has also served as outside counsel to national and regional banks, brokerage and wealth management firms and investment advisory companies, in the areas of litigation, regulatory and enforcement matters, and employment.
Jim has successfully handled disputes at each level of state and federal court in Virginia, as well as a number of neighboring jurisdictions. Before entering practice, he completed a judicial clerkship to the Hon. Charles S. Russell of the Supreme Court of Virginia. His practice has included matters before the appellate courts, having represented the prevailing party in his last five (5) arguments before the Supreme Court of Virginia. He also has extensive experience in arbitration and mediation before a variety of sponsoring and self-regulatory organizations.
In three recent cases, he was engaged to replace prior counsel where the client had become concerned with strategy, interim results or cost. Two of these cases concluded with outright defense wins for our client. The third case resulted with the dismissal of a majority of claims and the settlement of the remainder.
Jim also regularly advises clients in non-competition issues, including trade and sales practices, recruiting and employment. Such areas include covenants not to compete, non-solicitation, non-disclosure, trade secret, "garden leave," and other employment agreements and restrictive covenants, "raiding" and "inevitable disclosure" claims, common-law fiduciary issues, and trade secret and trademark matters.
- Practice Areas
Education and Admissions
- B.A., Economics – Virginia Military Institute
- J.D. -University of Richmond School of Law
- National Moot Court Team
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award
Professional Organization Memberships
- Virginia State Bar Joint Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution (JADRC), Chair (2018-19)
- Governor's Policy Council on Commerce and Trade, Gov. Ralph Northam
- University of Richmond Law School Association, Board of Directors
- John Marshall American Inn of Court, Executive Committee
- Bar Association of the City of Richmond - Board of Directors, Co-Chair of Metropolitan Richmond Bench-Bar Conference; various committee chairmanships
- Securities Industry & Financial Markets Association (SIFMA), Compliance & Legal Division
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), Panel of Arbitrators
- Richmond Fisher House Foundation, Chairman
- T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond, Adjunct Professor of Law
- Leadership Metro Richmond (LMR)
- The Richmond Ballet, Former Trustee
- U.S. Army, Reserve Officer (1982-94)
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Law Foundation, Fellow
News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- Thomson Reuters, "Virginia Super lawyers" - Business litigation, Securities litigation
- Virginia lawyers' Media, "leaders in the law" (Class of 2012)
- Virginia Business, "legal Elite" in Civil Litigation, Appellate, and Labor & Employment Categories
- Virginia Law Foundation, Fellow