- Professional Overview
Demian Betz is an experienced corporate lawyer, litigator, trial attorney, and pro bono leader. Demian concentrates his practice in commercial litigation, securities arbitration, regulatory and enforcement proceedings, and labor and employment matters.
Before joining O’Hagan Meyer, Demian served as an in-house litigation attorney and trial lawyer at Wachovia and Wells Fargo between 2004 and 2021. During this time, Demian managed law firms in defending a wide variety of wealth and investment management litigation and arbitration matters. Demian also handled his own portfolio of securities and intra-industry arbitrations as first-chair trial counsel, ultimately trying 45 cases to conclusion at FINRA arbitration hearings throughout the United States, including one of the first virtual FINRA Zoom hearings tried to conclusion during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Demian currently serves as Chair of the Legal Aid of North Carolina Charlotte Local Advisory Council. He has also served as Chair of the Wells Fargo Legal Department’s Enterprise-Wide Pro Bono Steering Committee (2018 – 2020) and Local Coordinator for the Wells Fargo Charlotte Legal Department’s Pro Bono Program (2014 – 2017). He routinely handles child custody cases and trials in Mecklenburg County Court on behalf of Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy’s migrant family clients and its Special Immigrant Juvenile Status program.
Demian graduated from the University of Michigan in 1996. He is a 2002 graduate of the DePaul University College of Law. Between his undergraduate and legal studies, Demian taught English as a Second Language on Cheju Island, South Korea and in Jakarta, Indonesia. In his spare time, Demian is an avid cross-country mountain biker, runner, off-road triathlete, and Michigan Wolverines football and basketball fan. He also enjoys photography, used record stores, live music, good books, and traveling to new places.
- Practice Areas
- Education and Admissions
- B.A., University of Michigan, Anthropology and English Literature (1996)
- J.D., DePaul University College of Law (2002)
- North Carolina
- Professional Organization Memberships
- VA, MO, FL, MI, NC
- SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society
- Charlotte International Arbitration Society
- News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- Graduate, University of Virginia Trial Advocacy College (January 2006)
- 2017 Outstanding Individual Pro Bono Service Award – Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy
- 2018 Charlotte Business Law Journal Corporate Counsel Awards – Finalist, Pro Bono Service
- Wells Fargo 10 & 15 Year Service Recognition Awards (2012 & 2017)