David A. Baugh concentrates his practice in corporate, commercial and securities litigation, professional malpractice defense, and directors' and officers' (D&O) liability claims. Mr. Baugh is also a licensed CPA.
Shortly after obtaining his J.D., Mr. Baugh took a position as a staff attorney in the Division of Corporation Finance with the Securities Exchange Commission in its home office in Washington, D.C., where he worked until going into private practice in Chicago, IL.
Since 1982, he has directly defended securities broker/dealers, accountants, attorneys, insurance and real estate agents and brokers, corporate directors and officers, and other related professionals in litigation and arbitration proceedings throughout the country, both in federal and state court, as well as arbitration claims filed with FINRA. In addition, he has represented the financial services industry, including broker/dealers and their registered representatives in regulatory proceedings and investigations pending before the SEC, FINRA and various state securities commissions.
Mr. Baugh has successfully defended other professionals on a nationwide basis, including cases of first impression concerning liability to third parties. More specifically, he represented the interests of defendant accountants in the case of Toro Co. v. Krouse, Kern & Co., Inc., in which the 7th Circuit, applying Indiana law, adopted the Credit Alliance standard of liability to third parties.
Mr. Baugh received an AV rating through Martindale – Hubbell. He has also lectured and given seminars on various securities, D&O and professional malpractice issues.
- Practice Areas
Education and Admissions
- University of Tennessee College of Law – J.D.
- University of Georgia – B.B.A.
- U.S. District Court
- Northern District of Illinois
- Central District of Illinois
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Sixth Circuit
- Seventh Circuit
- Trial Bar for the Northern District of Illinois
News, Honors, Publications & Speeches
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recipient of Most Influential Attorney Award in Corporate, Commercial and Securities Litigation by International Associate of Who’s Who.
- Increased Scrutiny from State and Local Regulators, Aon Advisor Solutions
- David Baugh - 2019 IBDC Spotlight Series: David A. Baugh, Co-Managing Partner - Chicago
- David Baugh, Gregg Breitbart Speakers at 2018 IBDC CONFERENCE