Robert Elias is a Partner in our Philadelphia office. Rob concentrates his practice in workers’ compensation defense litigation and represents self-insured clients and insurance carriers throughout Pennsylvania. Prior to joining O’Hagan Meyer, Rob was the Chairman of the Labor and Employment Group of a regional defense firm that handled workers’ compensation matters in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, and Maryland. He is a founding member of the Alexander F. Barbieri Inns of Court, a professional organization of attorneys and judges.
In 2012 and 2013, he was recognized as a Pennsylvania Superlawyer by his peers, as published by Philadelphia Magazine. He is also an adjunct professor at Eastern University, where he teaches American Legal History, and has served on the Board of Directors of the Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society.
Rob received his Juris Doctorate from Villanova University in 1995. He received Bachelor of Arts degrees in Economics and Foreign Service from the Pennsylvania State University. He also received a Master of Arts degree in History from Villanova University, where he was a member of the Phi Alpha Theta Honor Society.
- Alexander F. Barbieri Inns of Court, Charter Member
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Self Insurers’ Association
Recent Lectures and Seminars:
- Managing Workers’ Compensation Claims with an Aging Workforce; Pennsylvania Self Insurers’ Association Annual Meeting, September 2013.
- Employment Land Mines: Employment Considerations for Workers’ Compensation Professionals; Pennsylvania Self Insurers’ Association Spring Meeting, March 2012.
- The Use of the TNCP in Workers’ Compensation Claims; Philadelphia Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation Section Meeting, March 2012.
- The Construction Workplace Misclassification Act; Smith’s Insurance Agency Contractors Seminar, February, 2016.
- Independent Contractors and the Workers’ Compensation Act; Donegal Insurance Workers’ Compensation Seminar, September, 2015.
Notable Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court Decisions:
- City of Philadelphia v. WCAB (DeFruscio), 695 A.2d 910 (Pa. Commw. 1997); retirement and disability
- Martino v. WCAB (PECO Energy), 813 A.2d 945 (Pa. Commw. 2002); loss of consortium and subrogation
- Weikel v. WCAB (PECO Engery), 840 A.2d 1082 (Pa. Commw. 2004); benefits and average weekly wage
- Fox v. WCAB (PECO Energy), 969 A.2d 11 (Pa. Commw. 2009); sovereign immunity and subrogation