Mr. Barnsback counsels and represents employers in all aspects of employment law. He has frequently lectured on and assisted employers with disability accommodation and leave issues under the ADA and FMLA. He is experienced defending employers in Department of Labor wage/hour audits and FLSA individual and collective action overtime cases. He also has significant background representing employers before the EEOC and state/local administrative agencies. He has over twenty years of courtroom experience litigating employment related cases.
His experience representing employers lead him to concentrate on data privacy and security issues involving not only internal (employee) threats, but also external threats. He counsels employers on issues concerning internal monitoring and data breach response obligations and procedures.
Mr. Barnsback has worked extensively with federal government contractors and employers in healthcare and financial industries.
He is an editor of the Virginia Employment Law Letter, a monthly newsletter published by M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC. Mr. Barnsback is an adjunct professor of law at the George Mason University School of Law and teaches a class in labor law. He also frequently conducts seminars and webinars on employment law and data security and privacy issues.
- Alexandria Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Federal Bar Association, Northern Virginia Chapter
- George Mason University School of Law Alumni Association: Former President
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- “The New World Order of Cyber Security: A Survival Guide,” 90 minute webinar, Lexis Nexis Sheshnoff, October 7, 2014
- “2014 FMLA Master Class,” six-hour live class, BLR, September 8, 2014, Richmond, Virginia
- “Cyber Security Planning: What All Directors and CEO’s Need to Know Now,” 60-minute live seminar, 37th Directors & CEO’s Leadership Convention, August 7, 2014, Las Vegas, Nevada
- “Friending Electronic Evidence: How to Subpoena, Obtain and Present Electronic Evidence at Trial,” two-hour CLE, 76th Annual Meeting, Virginia State Bar, June 13, 2014, Virginia Beach, Virginia
- “Leave and Disability Compliance Playbook for Frontline Supervisors: What to Watch for and How to Respond to Requests for Leave and Disability Accommodations,” 90-minute webinar, BLR, May 22, 2014
- “The ACA: New Shared Responsibility Rules and Emerging Liabilities,” 90-minute webinar, Xpert HR, March 20, 2014
- “Anticipating the EEOC’s Target Issues,” chapter in Aspatore Thought Leadership: Employment Law 2015, Aspatore Books, a Thompson Reuters business
- “Understanding the New Enforcement Strategies Aimed at Reducing Workplace Discrimination,” chapter in Complying With Employment Regulations: Leading Lawyers on Analyzing Legislation and Adapting to the Changing State of Employment Law, 2013 Edition, Aspatore Books, a Thompson Reuters business
- Attorney Fees and Sanctions – Virginia and Federal Courts, co-authored with Michael S. Lieberman and Bernard J. DiMuro, 2012, Virginia CLE Publications
- “Resignations,” subchapter of the “Terminations” section, Federal Reference Manual, 2011, Reed Business Information
- “Constructive Discharge,” subchapter of the “Terminations” section, Federal Reference Manual, 2011, Reed Business Information
- “Other Laws That Impact Benefit Plans” chapter, Benefits Compliance: Strategies For Plans, Programs & Policies, 2010 (updated annually), M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
- Recognized as a Virginia Super Lawyer by Law & Politics magazine in Labor & Employment, 2014-2016
- Trial Lawyer of the Year Honoree by Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, 2006